Cookies are a wondrous thing. There are so many different varieties you can make with different combinations or opt for just sticking to the classics like a good old chocolate chip. I was recently motivated to bake a batch to make use of some ripe bananas in my kitchen- the result, banana oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Picture banana bread, but in cookie form.
The natural sweetness from the bananas, combined with the texture and crunch from the oatmeal and pecans made these quite delicious and so simple to make!
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 light packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 large mashed ripe banana
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees
- Whisk together flour, salt and baking soda in a small bowl
- Cream together butter and sugars until pale and fluffy. Then add the egg and vanilla
- Add flour mixture, then stir in oats, chocolate, and pecans
- Bake for 12/13 minutes and then cool on a wire rack
While mouthwatering when they come out of the oven, these cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 days… but they won’t last that long.