One might ask themselves, how do you make a regular old cookie even more delicious than it already is. Well friends, I have the answer, add crushed Oreo’s and top with M&M ‘s and you’ve pretty much got the most out of this world, over the top, cookie delight!
Not sure if you could ever really go wrong with the combination of cookie dough, nostalgic Oreo’s and the sweet and salty bite of peanut M&M’s and this creation courtesy of The Vegetarian Ginger definitely shows that.
These cookie squares were super easy to make and a huge hit as a birthday treat. The leftovers in my house were demolished in the blink of an eye.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 18 Oreo cookies, quartered
- 1/2 cup peanut M&M’s, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 8×8″ pan with butter and flour or use cooking spray.
2. Melt the butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Beat the butter and brown sugar until smooth. Then add the egg, and vanilla and mix until it comes together. Add the flour, stirring with a rubber spatula until just combined.
3. Chop the Oreo cookies into quarters ( they will crumble in the process but that’s ok!). Evenly stir the Oreo cookie bits into the batter so that you get a little bit of cookie crunch in each bite.
4. Turn batter out into the baking pan, and lightly smooth the top with a spatula. Sprinkle the M&M pieces over the top, pressing them down so they become wedged in the batter.
5. Bake for about 20 minutes, until the top of the bars have firmed slightly and the edges are a very light golden brown.
6. Allow bars to cool in the pan for at least 30 minutes, then transfer to a wire cooling rack for an additional 30 minutes. Set on a dry surface and slice into squares (a little bit goes a long way since they are so sweet). Store in an airtight container for up to a week.