Something about the immanent cold weather starting to creep up on us makes me crave comfort food. I recently came across a recipe for stuffed peppers that I decided to try out. I discovered that these stuffed peppers are pretty much the definition of comfort food.
Hearty, sauteed ground meat with caramelized onions, spinach and tomato sauce nestled in a colourful pepper and topped with melty mozzarella cheese…. needless to say, they were pretty delicious and also show-stopping to look at!
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flake
- 3 garlic gloves minced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 bag spinach
- 3/4 mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 6 bell peppers
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Saute onion until softened in olive oil, add garlic. Cook until golden, then add ground meat.
2. After the meat has been cooking for about 3-5 minutes add in the can of tomato sauce, red pepper flake, parsley and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for about 10 minutes, or until the meat is no longer pink
3. In a separate pan, saute spinach. Once wilted add in fresh basil and then combine with the meat mixture
4. Slice peppers in half and remove the seeds/ ribs of the pepper. Spoon the mixture into the peppers and place in a greased baking dish
5. Bake covered for 20-30 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle cheese and broil until the cheese melts