With the summer winding down (sorry to be depressing but it’s true), I’ve been trying to make good use of my BBQ .
The latest grilling creation was adopted from Bon Appetite Magazine. Here’s my version of grilled chicken tacos with salsa verde.
- 1 whole onion cut into wedges
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1 pound skinless boneless chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp kosher salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped basil
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1 avocado sliced
- 5 radishes thinly chopped
For the salsa verde ( or as I like to call it, yummy green sauce!) :
1. Cut one bulb of garlic in half and wrap in tin foil with a drizzle of olive oil
2. Place wrapped garlic and onion wedges on barbecue and grill until tender
3. Grill jalapeno until the skin is charred. Then peel away the skin and remove the seeds.
4. In a food processor combine the grilled garlic, onions and jalapeno, fresh cilantro and basil and a dash of salt and pepper. Blend until smooth
For the taco:
1. Season chicken with salt, pepper and cumin and grill on the barbecue. Once cooked, slice into thin strips. ( The skinless boneless thighs are great because they cook quickly, and stay tender and flavourful.)
2. Warm the tortillas on the barbecue for a few seconds on each side
3. Now time to build the taco!
Get your warm tortilla, and spread the salsa verde evenly across. Then place the grilled chicken, sliced avocado and chopped radishes to top it all off
I warn you in advance this will be a messy bite but the resulting yumminess will make it all worth it
You get the grilled flavours from the chicken, creaminess from the avocado, and crunch from the radish, not the mention my favourite green sauce which brightness every bite.
Check out the link to the original recipe from @ and try it out for yourself
Extra Fun Fact:
You can re-purpose this amazing green sauce to add excitement to many other dishes. I experimented brushing it on some fish and grilling that which turned out pretty spectacular