Pizza is a pretty glorious food item. You’ve got the yummy bready dough, tangy sauce, melty cheese and an endless array of toppings to choose from.
BUT in recent discoveries, if you have the chance to make your own fresh pizza it enhances the awesomeness level by about 1000%
This was the first time I tried making pizza and I was floored with the success that resulted.
For this first time pizza making recipe I created a homemade pesto sauce topped with grilled vegetables and delicious creamy mozzarella. Check out the recipe ( I warn you in advance that measurements are not exact because cooking is all about experimentation and I did a lot of this pizza making based on feeling and taste)!
For the pesto:
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 3/4 cup of freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3/4 cup olive oil
For the pizza:
- 1 red pepper
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 1/2 Chinese eggplant
- Mozzarella cheese
For the Dough:
- You can buy fresh made dough from almost any supermarket
For the Pesto
1. Wrap the four cloves of garlic in tin foil with a drizzle of olive oil and bake in the oven/on the BBQ until tender
2. In a blender, combine basil, parmesan, pine nuts, cashews, and garlic ( start by pulsing the ingredients together, then blend and slowly). Drizzle in the olive oil until the mixture becomes smooth and consistent
For the Pizza
1. Slice red pepper, red onion and eggplant
2. Grill veggies on the BBQ for approximately 10-15 minutes ( or until they are tender and you get some nice char marks)
3. Slice mozzarella into rounds and set aside
For the Dough
1. Flour your board, rolling pin and dough to ensure limited sticking
2. Roll until you have a desired thickness
Putting it all together!
1. Bake the dough for about 5-10 minutes in a 400 degree oven prior to putting on the toppings
2. Remove the semi-cooked dough and spread the pesto. Then place the slices of mozzarella and the grilled veggies onto the pizza
3. Continue baking for approximately 10-15 minutes ( or until the cheese is bubbly and the crust is brown)
…. And there you have it!
Delicious ooey gooey cheesy pizza with mouthwatering herby roasted garlic pesto and hints of sweetness and char from the grilled veg
( Even more exciting, you can re-purpose the pesto and combine with pasta for another expert level Italian meal … or even combine with the leftover grilled veggies and spread on some pita for a snack)